Thanks

Thanks for stopping in. There isn't really a rhyme or reason to this blog. It's just what comes to my head as I go through each day. If something I say resonates with you (positively or not), please leave a comment. It helps to know that people care. Thanks for reading!

Monday, November 5, 2012

Fifth day of thanks

On the fifth day of November, my fifth day of thanks, I am thankful for my parents.  Much as they annoy me sometimes, much as they say silly things, much as they occasionally make me want to scream, I love my parents very much, and I know that they love me.

They are currently out of town (and have been since October 22) and will continue to be out of town for the next two weeks.  It's strange how much I sort of take for granted that I can usually call them up any given night of the week and ask if they want to go out to dinner...I miss that very much right now, particularly on nights Mike is working and I feel alone.

They're always willing to try to help me out, even when those efforts don't go so well.  I mentioned once in passing that the hinge broke on my bedroom door.  Three trips to the hardware store, four trips to my house, a seemingly infinite parade of power tools and different sized screws later, and my dad had installed a new door...and it almost works, too! 

I worry that my parents won't get to see Mia grow up.  They were 40 when I was born, a rarity in those days, which means that they are now both 71 years old.  I don't think of them as "old", but...really, objectively, they are old.  They live in a retirement community, split a seniors' omelet at IHOP (I'm not kidding) and have been getting AARP in the mail since I was in high school.  I know their time is finite, and it frankly scares the hell out of me...

So, today, I am thankful to have my parents in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment