Thanks

Thanks for stopping in. There isn't really a rhyme or reason to this blog. It's just what comes to my head as I go through each day. If something I say resonates with you (positively or not), please leave a comment. It helps to know that people care. Thanks for reading!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hospitals and miscarriages

I was reading somewhere that women going through miscarriages are treated the worst of any type of hospital patient.  Many women are told to "go home and wait it out"...which basically entails a lot of pain (it's basically labor) with no support and no medical person to ask questions of.  It can also be incredibly traumatic in and of itself, pain and confusion aside. 

I was relatively lucky in that I had a D&C immediately following my bad ultrasound day.  A D&C is, effectively, an abortion...but in this case it was done because my body hasn't recognized that the baby was dead, and I was far enough along that there was a serious risk of extra blood loss.  I only had some of the pain later on (that's part of the body not going back to normal, which I'll elaborate on later).

That being said, the admitting people at the hospital were absolutely horrid.  We stopped at the hospital on the way home from the ultrasound, to fill out all the required paperwork and to do my pre-op.  I had literally just found out that my child died two hours before hand.  Well, they were training someone new at the admitting desk, and here's how our conversation went:

Her: Can I have your ID?
I hand it to her.
Her: How do you say your name? LaPlanta?  LaPlata?  Lapple?
Me: It's LaPlant.
Her: Well that's a funny name.
Me: (silence)
Her: OK, I need to ask you a few questions.  Do you have a history of... (this took a few minutes)   
Me: No
Her: Are you allergic to anything?
Me: No
Her: Are you or could you be pregnant
Me: I don't even know how to answer that.
Her: I don't get it.
Me: Look at my paperwork; that's why I'm here.
Her: Oh yeah, it says "fetal demise".  That's an interesting term.  "Fetal demise".....What's a D&C?  I've never heard of that before?  Wow.  That's funny, I've never ever heard of that procedure before.  What's it for?
Me: ...seriously?

And it continued like this...until she messed up inputting it into the computer and had to start all over again.

OK, I know people in clerical  positions aren't required to be tactful or compassionate, but SERIOUSLY?

No comments:

Post a Comment